Turkey Ricotta Meatball Sandwich
There’s something about the texture of a meatball sandwich that is irresistibly satisfying. This is best on a soft Italian roll that won’t squish the meatballs out as you bite into it. Turkey Ricotta meatballs nestled on a bed of wilted fresh spinach and topped with thin shavings of good Parmesan cheese turn this Pizzeria staple into something decidedly delicate.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: Makes 4 sandwiches
- In a small bowl, tear up bread slices into very small pieces. Drizzle over milk and mix together.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, soaked bread, ricotta, egg white, parmesan, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, mix together thoroughly. Form mixture into 1 inch balls. Chill if not cooking right away.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ¼ inch of canola oil. Heat oil until a small bit of the meat mixture sizzles. Add meatballs (in two batches, if needed), turning frequently to maintain round shape. Sauté until cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm marinara in a large saucepan. When meatballs are cooked, toss them in marinara to coat.
- To wilt spinach, place in microwave-safe bowl with 1 tablespoon water. Cover with a vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat if necessary.
- Split the rolls in half, and hollow out the tops if desired to make room for the meatballs. Toast until golden. Fill rolls with spinach, meatballs with sauce, and top with shaved parmesan. Serve immediately.