Salted Caramel Cookies
These sophisticated cookies are the best right out of the oven – crispy and gooey.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Bake Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: Makes 28 cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and salt until fluffy and light. 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix until just incorporated. Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm.
- Generously flour a sheet of parchment paper. Place one disk in center and dust the top and rolling pin with flour. Working quickly, roll dough into a thickness just shy of a ¼ inch. Slide onto baking sheet. Re-chill. Repeat process with 2nd ball of dough.
- Flour two fluted, round cookie cutters. One larger, measuring about 1 ½ inches, and 1 smaller measuring about 1 inch.
- Using the larger cutter, cut half of the dough in this shape. These will make the bottoms of the cookies. Lift off excess dough to chill and re-roll for more cookies, if desired. Re-chill entire tray of cut cookie bottoms.
- For cookie tops, repeat step 7 on second half of dough. Now, using the smaller cutter, place cutter in the middle of each cutout cookie to form a “window” or a center hole in the tops. This is where the caramel will show through. Re-chill entire tray of cut cookie tops. Count to make sure you have an equal number of solid bottoms and “windowed” tops.
- Place trays in preheated oven for 9-11 minutes, rotating after 5 minutes, until just set. Do not brown.
- Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely. Spread bottom cookies with caramel, Cover with top cookies. Sprinkle with sea salt.