Molasses Ginger Cookies with Chocolate Chunks
A half-cup of molasses give these chocolate cookies an original taste and texture.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Bake Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: Makes 27 cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and cocoa in a large bowl. Set aside.
- With a stand or hand mixer, cream together butter and 1/3 cup dark brown and 1/3 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolk. Add molasses and vanilla. Add flour mixture. Mix until combined and no flour pockets remain. Stir in chocolate chunks and candied ginger.
- Chill dough until firm.
- Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll 1 ounce tablespoonfuls of cookie dough into balls and roll in reserved sugar. Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating after 5 minutes, until beginning to crack and edges are just set. Do not overbake.
- Let cookies cool briefly on baking sheet then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.