Cornmeal Thumbprints with Black Currant Jam
The texture of the cornmeal nicely offsets the jam in these easy cookies.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Bake Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: Makes 24 cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks. Add vanilla. Add flour and cornmeal mixture. Mix until combined and no flour pockets remain.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place on cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake 5 minutes. If you can take the heat, use your thumb to make a deep indentation in each cookie (switching thumbs or dipping in ice water in between makes it easier). You can use the end of a wooden spoon handle too. The edges will crack when you do this. Rotate baking sheet and return to oven for 5 to 8 minutes more.
- Remove cookies from the oven. While still warm, fill centers with jam. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.